Appointed on 4th January, 2016 as the 8th substantive Vice Chancellor of Lagos State University by the immediate-past Governor of Lagos State, Mr Akinwunmi #Ambode Professor of Environmental Law, Prof. Olanrewaju Adigun Fagbohun SAN, NPOM, assumed office on Monday, 11th January, 2016 to a very warm reception from members of the University Community- Staff and Students.
Prof. Fagbohun’s appointment was on the heels of a feisty crisis that had ravaged the institution for months.
The announcement of the Akesan-born Prince’s appointment by the state government was received with joy and enthusiasm by stakeholders, many of whom were eager for the months-old crisis, which had forced the institution on her knees, to end.
His profile as a brilliant and internationally acclaimed lawyer, his antecedents as a well-loved, humane and humble lecturer in the institution’s faculty of Law, where he taught Law some years earlier before taking an appointment as the University of Lagos, and his background as a son of the soil, provided enough capital on which the new Vice Chancellor was going to be given a chance. He never disappointed.
An unrepentant Apostle of peace, Prof. Fagbohun, upon taking up office quickly initiated a series of moves aimed at reconciling aggrieved parties in the Ivory Tower.
All staff and students Unions were at different times brought to a roundtable and given the opportunity to freely express their positions.
He also set up 34 Committees to ensure that the institution run on Committee system as obtained in other institutions in the world, while rolling out five Strategic Plans for the University, including, the restoration of peace and academic excellence; fostering of high level scholarship and create new knowledge; consolidate on previous gains; clear roadmap for attracting funds and making LASU valued partner to Lagos State Government and the Nation.
Four years down the line and with just a year left for his administration, Prof. Olanrewaju Adigun Fagbohun, SAN, NPOM, has not only restored peace to the Lagos State-owned University, he, alongside the highly cerebral and loyal members of university Management, brought an unprecedented level of development to the University, while positioning it firmly as one of the safest and best public tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
Within that period, not only has #LASU witnessed four years of unbroken academic calendar, the institution has become one of the most subscribed by admission seekers in the country, while also being an investor’s favourite.
These achievements, he is always quick to point out, are products of collective efforts of all stakeholders State Government, Governing Council, Senate, Staff and Students Unions and indeed, all members of the University Community.
In commemoration of four years of purposeful and result-driven leadership, we roll out some major achievements of the Vice Chancellor, Prof Olanrewaju Adigun Fagbohun-led administration in the last four years.
- Restoration of peace at the Citadel of Learning that has resulted in an uninterrupted Academic Calendar;
- Payment of all outstanding staff arrears and honorarium;
- Consistent payment of end of year bonus to members of staff;
- All outstanding promotions cleared;
- LASU became an Africa Centre for Excellence in STEM Education;
- Attracted private donations of infrastructure such as the Aderemi Makanjuola Lecture Theatre; Construction of Model Healthcare Centre by SDG Office, CBT Centre;
- Renovation of roads and drainages across the University;
- Establishment of a platform and administration that have respect for the Rule of Law and Due Process;
- Constitution and Inauguration of the LASU Taskforce on External System which ensured that thousands of outstanding results were cleared and the External System sanitized;
- Regular and fruitful engagements with Staff and Students’ Union;
- All outstanding accreditation cases resolved;
- Effective quality assurance of all academic programmes and processes;
- Establishment of value adding Directorates and Centres like: Directorate of Advancement, Open and Distance Learning and Research Institute, Directorate of Research Management, Directorate of Linkages, LASU Careers Development Centre, amongst others;
- Resuscitation of a number of University Programmes:
- Pre-Degree Studies, Epe Campus, Lagos
- LASU Foundation [JUPEB,] Badagry Campus, Lagos
- Sandwich Degree Programmes, Ojo Campus, Lagos;
- Activation of Lagos State University International School (LASUIS) and official commencement of Academic activities;
- Introduction of additional new academic programmes at the Postgraduate School;
- Introduction of new academic Programmes-Pharmacology, Early Childhood Education, Local Government Studies
- 24 hour operation by the University Health Centre
- Strategic Alliance with Providus Bank for the construction of 500 eat CBT Centre
- Institution of a Distinguished Guest Lecture Series – To train, mentor students and foster harmonious relationship between the “Town” and the “Gown”
- Fostered good relationship with state government leading to the award of contract for the construction of 8, 200 capacity bed hostel; Independent Power Plant (IPP) etc;
- Clearance of backlog of Certificates;
- Embrace of technology to create solutions via the creation of Applications (LASUIS, Teaching Evaluation, LASU Monitor, E-Help Desk, amongst others
- Access to TetFund-sponsored scholarships and conferences by members of staff;
- Completion and hand-over of a 3- Storey Lagos State University School of Communication Building funded with the NEEDS Assessment Intervention Fund;
- Purchase of Security tools and Equipments (Cars, Motorcycles, etc) and re-training of Security Operatives for greater efficiency;
- Signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Public Service Staff Development Centre (PSSDC) Magodo, Lagos on learning, capacity building and management;
- Signing of Memorandum of Understanding with the Nigerian Air Force on how to enhance the productivity of both organizations through cutting edge researches;
- Production of yearly Annual Reports;
- Consistently organizing Convocation Ceremonies (Four so far under his leadership) and Inaugural Lectures
- Successful hosting of Ready, Set, Work Project Initiative of Lagos State Government to prepare final year students of the University for life after school and particularly how to become employers of labour;
- Creation of a Central Admission Screening Application to serve as an electronic processing hub for all admission phases, this application is the first of its kind and can be adopted for admission processing in other Higher Institutions in Nigeria;
- Hosting of the Maiden edition of the Lagos State University Long Service Awards for Staff;
- Construction and Furnishing of a Two-Storey Institute of Organic Agriculture and Green Economy Building at Epe Campus with funding from Tertiary Education Fund (TETFUND);
- Completion of Construction and Furnishing of a Three-Storey School of Agriculture Building at Epe Campus with funding from Tertiary Education Fund (TETFUND);
- The University was able to attract the interest of the funding agency to support her due to the efforts of the Vice Chancellor to establish a cordial working relationship with the agency;
- Provision of conducive atmosphere that led to the hosting of different high-flying programmes including first LASU Career Fair for Final Year Students of the University
- Faculty of Education Annual Distinguished Lecture
- Faculty of Art Annual Distinguished Lecture
- Faculty of Management Public Lecture
- School of Transport Lecture
- School of Communication Lecture
- 1st, 2nd Distinguished Lectures delivered by Mr. Tony Elumelu, Joke Silva, Segun Arinze, Mrs. Enitan Dan Faparusi;
- 3rd Distinguished Lecture Series with Mrs Funke Asekoya, SAN, Mr Tokunbo Abiru, MD/CEO Polris Bnak and Bountiful Taiwo Adelanwa
- Faculty of Arts Lecture on Alhaji Lateef Jakande and renaming of the longest road in LASU after him
- Hosting of the First LASU Research Fair with Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola as speaker;
- Admission and matriculation of the first set of ODLRI Student;
- Commencement of LASU conversion programme for HND holders;
- Hosting of the First LCDC Career Fair at Epe;
- Series of collaboration meetings with sizeable number of reputable Corporate bodies, Multinational Companies and Telecommunication Industries to intimate them with the potential inherent in the University and how the collaboration can be mutually beneficial to both parties;
- Activation of the Lagos State University [LASU] Radio 95.7FM;
- Establishment of Open and Distance Learning & Research Institute [ODLRI];
- Increased numbers of Inaugural Lectures delivered;
- Resuscitation of numerous list of academic programmes – LASU Foundation, Sandwich Degree Programme, Entrepreneurship Classes, Postgraduate Programmes, Pre-Degree Studies, School of Agriculture, LASU Consults; Conversion Programme, LASU Stream 2 Admission Programmes etc;
- Secured accreditation for all Academic programs;
- Creation of University Anthem;
- Peaceful conduct of all Elections of the Students’ Union via Electronic voting since 2016 till date;
- Regular Promotion Exercises for deserving members of staff [Academic and Non-Academic];
- Revitalization/creation of a number of Centres/Units – Security, UMC, CIPPR, Protocol Unit;
- Establishment of Directorate of Quality Assurance;
- Revitalization of the CGNS;
- Internationalization of Lagos State University Academic Programmes e.g Cornel and Indiana Universities;
- Effective and meaningful collaboration with the Lagos State Government and Nigeria as a whole;
- Externalization of the successes achieved/recorded at the University in the appointment of the following people: Vice Chancellor, Fountain University; Provost, MOCPED; Bursar, LASPOTECH; Provost, AOCOED;
- Sponsorship of students and staff to trainings, conferences and workshop’;
- Building formidable partnership with Private Organisations;
- Revitalization & Reinvigoration of the University Registry;
- Sustainability of achievement at the Lagos State University College of Medicine [LASUCOM], Ikeja, Lagos;
- Establishment of Christmas Carol Programme and end-of the year activities;
- Upgrading of some Secretarial Staff of the University;
- Successful hosting of LASUSU Inter-Varsity Debate;
- Construction/Building of infrastructural facilities in all the Campuses of the University;
- Productive and robust relationship with the Governing Council and Senate;
- Hosting of former Presidents of Nigeria and Ghana, and the sitting Vice President of Nigeria
- Robust relationship with the media organisation.